- Go 35 paces into the field to start sampling.
- Measure row width and record.
- Measure a 30' plot, then count all ears in two rows in the plot. Record total.
- Pull the fifth, eighth and 11th ear off one row of the plot.
- Measure the length of grain on each ear and record.
- Count the kernel rows on each ear (will be an even number) and record.
- Enter results in corresponding fields below and click submit.
After submitting your entry scroll down to view the average entries by state, shown on the U.S. map.
|See the full map
||Click on a number to see full data.
To see Counties select State from drop-down.
Safety Warning: This procedure is safer if two people work together. If you are not experienced working in tall corn, go with someone who is experienced. Safety glasses, gloves and sturdy boots are recommended. To avoid getting lost in tall corn, tell someone where you will be, stay close to a road, keep your bearings and carry a cell phone.